Back out in the cold - A new beginning - A different Town

The Nitpicking German "Korinthenkacker"


I suppose I am what Germans would call "Korinthenkacker" - at least when it comes to the organisation of my studies. The English word nitpicker is less vulgar and equally appropriate.I like to know I've got a place in the seminar I wanted to take. I like knowing when and where I have to be in order to graduate.   I confess I seem like quite the control freak. I have not inherited the happy-go-lightly attitude of my new flatmates.

 Laissez-faire at Emperor's Walk 221B


The newest tennant - a late arrival -  here at the Emperor's Walk 221B moved in today. Apparently he is doing is Master in Microecomics.  I had the pleasure of meeting him,  however briefly. While his belongings were still spread out all over the kitchen and the sunroom, which was now permeated by the distinct odor of stale bear and cold cigarette ash, he quizzed me about the first day at university. "So the introduction with all the boring speeches was quite the waste of time?", he said - as if he had tried (unsuccessfully so) to read my mind. Granted I didn't feel particularly enlightened after the riveting speech by the university president - after a while all theses speeches sound the same, that this moment was the beginnig of the most interesting period in our yet young lives. He, the good shepherd,  prounced himself quite happy to assist in the formation of our character, if not identity and wished us all the best. Perdictable, only the quote by some famous philosopher was missing, this time, not even good old Goethe with his magical beginnings was dragged from the dusty tomes hidden away in the library.
All in all, our newest addition seemed more relaxed, quite laid back. He proceeded to inform me that his work had detained him in some other part of the country, therefore he scarcely could find the time to actually plan and organize the move, let alone his semester. My first thought: "Evidently, the kitchen is a mess".
I kept my silence and waited for him to continue, while the secondes ticked by he seemed to get more and more agitated. "I don't even know where to start. I am so not prepared", he admitted sheepishly. I smiled encouragingly. He looked around as if taking stock of the different piles where kitchen appliances where mixed with food, glasses, plates ect.  "I haven't even looked at the classes I am supposed to register for", he continued. Too much to do, too little time.
Classes are starting tomorrow, my own horrified feelings aside, I retreated back into my room as quickly as I could. I wished him good luck. He seemed to need it.

A red-taped web we weave


Maybe he'll have it easier in the long run. Not caring one way or another at least reduces the stress hormones in the blood. I definitely feelt the pre-semester jitters keenly. No, it was not only the worries about adapting to new surroundings, new living quarters, new town but also the fear of failure mixed with the distinct impression that the university itself was less oranzied - at least where Master students are concerned - than my previous education and research institution.
Only a few days before classes start up again and the new semester commences, the bureaucratic tango between the creation of your very own timetable, the registration for your exams and the introduction to the new school, takes up most of my time here. It appears the communication between student body and faculty or even advisors is faulty at best. Out of the 18 people to study Intercultural Communication only 5 were present at the introduction. Only 5 knew about it. Only 5  read the e-mail, the department had sent out merely hours before the meeting. But this doesn’t seem to faze anyone.While I had my letter of admission late in August, registration for classes started merely a few weeks before the official beginning of the Winter Term 2013/14. And yesterday, a Sunday, I received permission to participate in all the classes I had chossen.
As for my new compatriot - he might just be a little to late. "Well, the first few weeks in a new semester  ... they will surely turn a blind eye", he said - confident that, in the end, everything would play out exactly as he had hoped.


Kommentare

Beliebte Posts